It is a fact of life that as you get older, you may reach a point where your decision making ability may begin to decline. This can be the result of physical and/or mental illness.
Naturally, this can be very concerning when it comes to your well-being and future arrangements. But by appointing Lasting Powers of Attorney you can ensure that any important decisions are taken care of. However, the Lasting Powers of Attorney process is a sensitive one and it is advisable to seek out the very best legal advice.
What is the Lasting Powers of Attorney Process?
A Lasting Power of Attorney is a legally binding document that gives permission for named individuals to make decisions for you. This situation may arise when you can no longer make your own decisions due to illness or you simply want someone else to make your decisions. In these scenarios, you are referred to as the donor and the appointed decision maker is the attorney.
Acting as an attorney covers the following tasks:
- Dealing with financial issues such as bank accounts, tax issues and the payment of bills
- Managing any property affairs including mortgage arrangements and any tenancy agreements
- Taking control of any health and welfare matters such as daily routines, where the donor is housed, and any medical care decisions e.g. consenting or refusing treatment
These are major and life-changing decisions. They are not decisions that can be taken lightly. Therefore, you need to work alongside a Lasting Powers of Attorney specialist, who will assist you through the procedure.
What our Lasting Powers of Attorney Solicitors offer
- Experience: The complexities of legal regulations mean that experience is key when it comes to creating resolutions. We have a proven track record in successfully completing the Lasting Powers of Attorney process.
- Communication Skills: The delicate nature of the task means that excellent communication is crucial. Our solicitors make it their priority to maintain regular contact and discuss all steps of the process in an understandable and sensitive way.
- Availability: It’s important that a solicitor is available to discuss any concerns that you have. We always aim to get back to you promptly and don’t leave you waiting for an answer.
- Listening Skills: Listening to you and to your needs and so understanding your goals is crucial – demonstrating your solicitor understands your needs will mark him or her out as an excellent partner. This is something all of our solicitors understand.
Completing the Process
When it comes to Lasting Powers of Attorney you need a reassurance that the process has been taken care of professionally. No matter what your age is, your future is important and you need peace of mind that it will be secure.
For more information, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our experienced legal team.